The Southern Carpathians also known as the Transylvanian Alps are the highest in Romania, they are the most continuous and the most impassable section of the Carpathians. They are rockier and more spectacular than the other Carpathians sections with the highest Peak Moldoveanu reaching 2544 meters (8346 feet) in the Fagaras range.
Although considerably smaller than the Alps, the Southern Carpathians are classified as having an alpine landscape. Therefore their high mountain character, combined with great accessibility, makes them popular with tourists and scientists. Furthermore, they are also home to a rich wildlife, large intact forests, big biodiversity, spectacular rivers and almost untouched landscapes.
From west to east, four mountain groups can be identified, separated by different river valleys.
So you’ll get here the opportunity to explore the Sounthern Carpathian Range while learning about it’s wildlife. Do not miss the opportunity to watch the animals in their mountainous habitat and explore the complex ecosystem surrounding them, all while enjoying the beautiful surroundings.
Transylvanian Alps Highlights:
- Ski Resorts, Skiing Slopes and Winter fun in Romania - Discover the best ski slopes in Romania for beginner and intermediate skiers. From Brasov to Borsa, get best value for your money in these top Romanian ski resorts.
- Das Balea Eishotel - ein einzigartiges Winter-Erlebniss - Visit the only ice hotel in Romania and Eastern Europe! Situated at 2000 meters in the proximity of the Bâlea Lake, in the Făgăraş Mountains the ice hotel will provide an unique, unforgettable experience.
- Balea Lake on Transfagarasan - Impressive surrounding landscape and a great spot for hiking, ice climbing, cycling or (if you are pro) even skiing – this is how one can best attempt to describe the famous Balea Lake in the Fagaras mountains. Reachable by car (or bike) in the summer and by cable car in the winter, this old glacier lake […]
- The real Sphinx? - What do we know about the Bucegi Sphinx? Even though the official theory speaks of a natural rock formation carved by the wind in the shape of a human head, there are theories that speak about the Sphinx as artificially carved in stone by an ancient long lost civilization. As it stands alone in the […]
- Prometheus Statue overseeing the Vidraru Dam - An engineering jewel between Frunţii Mountains and Ghiţu mountains, the Vidraru Dam is basically where Transfagarasan starts ... From here, you'll follow the road through tunnels and slopes up to Balea Cascada (Balea Waterfall) and Balea Lake.
- From the Sphinx to Babele – Megalithic structures & paranormal phenomena in the Bucegi Mountains - Enjoy a Panoramic Tour of the Bucegi High Plateau with its famous Sphinx & Babele rock formations by daring an epic scenic drive on the TransBucegi Road. Minimum 2 persons on this tour! * Check some options bellow and we'll do our best to find you a private guide for the tour. If you are just looking for accomodation, you have the option to search for that at the bottom of the page *